These FAQs will help you determine when to publish Storyline 360 courses for xAPI (Tin Can API), how to publish, and where to host your published content.
Should I Publish for xAPI?
If your Learning Management System (LMS) supports xAPI, you can absolutely publish for xAPI. This standard is great for tracking learners' progress. As an added bonus, you can create custom xAPI statements to track learners' activity in unparalleled detail. Learn more.
If your LMS provider doesn't yet support xAPI, we recommend urging them to do so. Share our white paper on xAPI implementation with your LMS provider.
Where Should I Host xAPI Content?
You can send results to an LRS, an LMS, or both. To publish a Storyline 360 course for LMS/LRS, follow these steps.
Since Storyline 360 publishes HTML5-only content, the location of the published output won't matter. You can host it on the same server as your LMS or a separate server. If you host content on a separate server, you'll need to modify the Launch URL when publishing. Here's how:
- In Storyline 360, go to the Home tab on the ribbon and click Publish.
- Select the LMS / LRS tab on the left side of the Publish window.
- From the Report to an LMS drop-down list at the bottom of the window, select xAPI (Tin Can API).
- Click the Reporting and Tracking button, then select the LMS tab in the window that appears.
- In the Launch URL field, type the full URL for the
index_lms.html file where it'll be hosted on the external server.
- Click OK and complete the publishing process.
- Zip the published output.
- Upload the zipped version of the published content to your LMS.
- Upload the unzipped version to your external server.
- Activity ID is an internationalized resource identifier (IRI) with a unique string of characters assigned by Storyline 360 that your LRS uses to identify activities in a course.
- Language Code isn't mandatory, but you can enter a supported language code if you need to change the language of the tincan.xml file. If you're unsure, leave this field blank to set the language value in the tincan.xml file to
Which Version of xAPI Does Storyline 360 Use?
Storyline 360 publishes content to xAPI version 1.0.2.