By default, Storyline 3 installs in the following directory, depending on your version of Microsoft Windows:
- 32-bit Windows: C:\Program Files
- 64-bit Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)
In this article, we'll explain how to:
Change the Installation Directory
To change the installation location, you'll need to install Storyline 3 from the command line. Here's how:
- Launch a command prompt.
- Windows 10 and later: Right-click the Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- At the command prompt, type the following line of text (replace
path with the actual file path in both instances), then press Enter on your keyboard:
For example, if the installation file is on your C: drive and you want to install it on your D: drive, the command would look like this:
"C:\storyline-3.exe" InstallFolder="D:\Articulate Storyline 3"
- The Storyline installer will launch and walk you through the installation steps, but it'll install in the folder you entered in the previous step.
Add Other Command Line Installation Parameters
You can use either of the following parameters to further customize your Storyline installation. Just add the parameters you want to the end of the command line in step 2 above. (Use a slash before
quiet but not
Here's an example of how your command might look if you added both optional parameters:
"C:\storyline-3.exe" InstallFolder="D:\Articulate Storyline 3" Serial=SL3-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXX-XXXX /quiet
This switch forces Storyline to install silently. You won't see anything happen on the screen until the Storyline icon appears on your desktop.
Use the serial parameter to silently activate Storyline with your serial number.
- You must have an active internet connection.
- Your firewall must allow access to https://activation.articulate.com.
- You must install/activate the software while logged into the computer as the end user.
When silently activated, the end user won't be prompted to activate, and the serial number won't show on the About box.
Set Storyline Options in the Registry
You can also set the following Storyline options in the registry either manually or via script. (Log into the computer as the Storyline end user before editing the registry.)
Check for updates at startup
The check for updates feature is enabled by default. It periodically checks for free software updates and notifies you when one is available. If you'd prefer not to check for updates, set this key to
The Storyline interface defaults to English
en-US. To change it, set this key to one of the following values.